Saturday, February 16, 2008

Caps v Bolts - Postgame

Just made it back to the homestead. 1h 30m door to door isn't too bad and well worth it. I only get to see 2-3 games Caps games per year including one up in DC around Christmas and a weekender in Tampa so the drive is easily justified. Nevermind... the game.

It was a decent game except for the 10 minutes at the end of the second and that minute at the end of the third that almost doomed them. That second period breakdown was like watching a quarter spiral down one of those charity blackhole games where it starts really wide and slow then tightens to a really fast circle then disappears? No? Okay I was cursing and squirming for 10 minutes waiting for the walls to collapse. But Olaf saved the day. He was square and perfect and didn't seemed rattled by the shaky start he had in the first and second.

The two quickies by the Bolts at the end of the game had the Forum shaking. The crowd noise was still at a stupid level when Semin stuffed in the rebound that made it 3-2. It was very surreal as all the Bolts fans sat at once and the Caps fans stood in unison. That was my only yell of the game. A pure knee-jerk fist pump scream. We need more of those ugly beautiful goals.

I'll have to watch the DVR of the game tomorrow to really look at what I think I saw from Lepisto, but he seemed pretty solid, took a couple of shots, and made a pretty slap pass. Erskine was a danger to his own team. Can we take out "Own Goal" insurance on him? It goes like this, we spot the opposition a goal before the game starts and have to pick one bonehead. If we pick Erskine, for instance, any goals that result from that player's head being lodged temporarily in his own ass, don't count. You would think the opposition would jump at this. True, but so would the Caps.

Laing was a stud (welcome back). The first Tampa goal was plain ole' ring around the rosey. You know, run in circles then all fall down. The second was Ovechkin's fault for not picking up the break-out from Olie who relayed it perfectly up the boards to where the LEFT FRICKIN WING should be waiting. Instead, the puck made it to the pinching defenseman who pushed it in and soon enough it was BLOWHORN city. It was at that point I saw the season collapsing which explains why the primordial yell was so needed on the Caps go ahead marker on the next shift. I think I even hugged the guy next to me.

Funny aside... I got a call at 3:00 minutes into the third from Peaker (you know, the other blogger on the site who doesn't blog). He didn't know I was attending the game and he says, "Hey, you're at the game. I just walked into my living room and saw you on TV."

Now, it's late but I'm going to see if I can change Peaker's name to Hide-n-Peeker or maybe Phone-n-Peeker, he can dial a number and have blog entries transcribed by a blogger secretary.

No comments: