Monday, January 7, 2008

Why the heck blog?

There's a hundred hockey blogs out there that I read regularly. Sometimes I respond and post my own thoughts but most of the time I just talk to myself about them. But my wife touched on something tonight that I've been thinking for awhile when she said, "Do you read anything you don't have an opinion on? Why don't you have a blog?". My immediate response was, "Well... I'm not more insightful than these guys... I'm not funny... I don't live in a hockey city... I can't... (many, many more excuses...) I don't floss often... I haven't exercised in months..." In other words, there was no excuse and most importantly: there's really NO REASON TO READ THIS BLOG (unless you have nothing better to do with your time and wish to read the opinion of, yet another, hockey blogger).

As I mentioned before, I don't live in a hockey town. Orlando, Florida has exactly two hockey rinks and they're both in the RDV Sportsclub (whose name I believe memorializes the infamous "aRRR tis Da Vegans" quote from the host at nearby DisneyWorld's Pirates of the Carribean ride during 2005's Gay and Lebian day). The venue is owned by the DeVos family (who own the Red Wings farm team, the Griffins). In the offseason (and at the oddest and most random times), we'll hear the Wings are in town and practicing. That's the extent of the hockey in this town. But I digress... as I mentioned there's no hockey here, so lets get back to me.

Melvis the Snowdog is a nickname for my husky, Melvin. When I first moved to Orlando and started fraternizing with the yokels, I met a dude through a girl I was dating who didn't understand that my dog was, in fact, not a wolf but a husky. And who was also hard of hearing in his more often than not inebbriated form and heard Melvin's name as "Melvis". So for awhile, his name was Melvis the Wolf, but that really scared the kiddies in the neighborhood so I didn't call him that much longer so I demoted him back to "Melvis the Snowdog".

For this blog, I will post my thoughts to the betterment or sullyingment (is that a word?) of mankind about: (I dont' think these are in any particular order)
  1. General hockey happenings (trade analysis, hot topics, etc)
  2. The progress (or regress) of my Caps
  3. Fantasy hockey
  4. Plain hockey hockey
  5. My love for hockey blogging
  6. Hockey trends
  7. Hockey fashion
  8. Hockey shrimp
  9. The plight of flightless waterfowl
Keep on keepin' on.

No comments: