Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happier, More Productive

That's the only to describe how I felt last night (I'd toss in the "Fitter" part too, but I'm my knee injury's got me packing on pounds like a bear getting ready for winter). I was pessimistic about our chances two weeks, it is true. I re-read my "Three Home-at-Homes" post yesterday afternoon and realized how screwy things can get. I theorized that our best chance was to catch Boston, and with a 5 point lead in 6 games, Carolina would take the SE.

I will apologize but first preface it by saying that I've been a Caps fan for a loooooong time; like 1974 "long". Like an hour and half in the car to Landover and back to see us get the crap kicked out of us "long". Like driving 5 hours back and forth from James Madison while in college to get my hopes dashed "long". Like 4 overtimes against the Islanders "long". So therefore you can imagine that "an-Esa-wide" and a "triple-OT-Nedved" later in life, that I'm calloused. Not jaded, but scarred and somewhat fragile. I try not to get my hopes too high or too low and just try to look at the facts.

Now that the regular season is over, however, I can be honest. I would have been mightily bereft had the Caps failed last night. I felt they had win to shed the sad-sack or choke dog monikers that have hung around the franchise's collective neck for the last decade or so. Last night was the culmination of 4 years of watching and waiting and hoping and nurturing for everybody involved and I'm so thrilled and relieved that I'm pinching myself today. It isn't quite as great a feeling as the Juneau goal in 98, but it ranks right up there. Corey Masisak wrote this morning that he got the best night sleep in a month and I can't agree more. Sleep came easy to the body. Rest has followed for the mind. Now it's time to just enjoy it.

I raise a glass to all and apologize for not believing. I've never been as happy for being wrong. Cheers.

No comments: